- six delicious layers as seen below
FOR THE APPLE SPONGE JELLY
1200ml Highbank Orchard Apple Syrup
13 leaves of gelatine, pre-soaked
400g cake sponge
1. Bring the apple syrup and water to the boil. Remove from the heat, add the pre-soaked gelatine to the hot apple syrup along with the sponge. Mix well, pour onto a lined tray and leave to set in the fridge.
2. Cut into cubes and set aside for plating.
FOR THE ELDERFLOWER JELLY
5 tablespoons dried elderflowers
375ml elderflower cordial
14 leaves of pre-soaked gelatine
1. Combine the dried elderflowers, cordial and water in a pot and bring to simmer. Leave to infuse for 20 minutes.
2. While warm dissolve the pre-soaked gelatine in the liquid. Pour through a fine sieve onto a lined tray or container and transfer to set in the fridge.
3. Once set, cut into cubes the same size as the apple sponge jelly and set aside.
FOR THE PICKLED APPLES
200ml Highbank Orchard Apple Syrup
4 apples, Parisian-scooped into balls
1 vanilla pod
1 lemon, juiced
1. Bring the apple syrup, vanilla and lemon juice to the boil. Pour over the apple balls and set aside to cool.
FOR THE CUSTARD
2 vanilla pods, split and de-seeded
1 litre cream
180g caster sugar
12 egg yolks
1 tablespoon cornflour
1. Combine the vanilla seeds and cream in a small saucepan and bring to the boil.
2. Meanwhile, mix the sugar, yolks and cornflour in a large mixing bowl. Pour the boiling cream and vanilla onto the egg mix and whisk until combined.
3. Pour the raw custard mix back into a clean pot and cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the custard coats the back of the spoon. Transfer to a bowl and leave to cool.
FOR THE PANNA COTTA
300ml Highbank Orchard Apple Syrup
150ml elderflower cordial
7 leaves of gelatine, pre-soaked
1. Bring the apple syrup, cordial and 150ml of the cream to the boil. Remove from the heat and add the pre-soaked gelatine and remaining cream.
2. Pour into glasses an inch deep and refrigerate until set.
FOR THE VANILLA CREAM
10ml icing sugar, sieved
1 vanilla pod, split and de-seeded
1. Whip the cream to soft peaks. Mix in the icing sugar and vanilla seeds and set aside.
1. Place the cubes of apple sponge jelly and elderflower jelly on top of the panna cotta, followed by the pickled apple balls. Pour over the custard, top with a quenelle of the vanilla cream and garnish with a sprig of mint.